This recipe delivers a classic version of the original Black Forest cake with whipped cream frosting and cherry topping. It is a stunning and decadent cake but it’s fairly simple to make! Give it a try!
Ingredients For The Chocolate Cake:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Ingredients For The Cherry Syrup:
- 2 cans of canned cherries
- ¼ cup cherry liqueur
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients For The Whipped Cream:
- 3 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
Ingredients For Optional Decorations:
- 200 g. chocolate shavings
- Fresh whole cherries
How To Make:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease and flour two 9 inch, round, cake pans; cover bottoms with waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 2 cups sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil, and 1 tablespoon vanilla; beat until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.
- Loosen edges, and remove to racks to cool completely.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice.
- Combine reserved juice, cherries, 1 cup sugar and cornstarch in a 2 quart saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cool before using.
- Combine heavy cream and powdered sugar in a medium bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- With long serrated knife, split each cake layer horizontally in half.
- Tear one split layer into crumbs; set aside.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups Frosting for decorating cake; set aside.
- Gently brush loose crumbs off top and side of each cake layer.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on cake plate.
- Spread with 1 cup frosting; top with 3/4 cup cherry topping.
- Top with second cake layer; repeat layers of frosting and cherry topping.
- Top with third cake layer. Frost side of cake.
- Pat reserved crumbs onto frosting on side of cake.
- Spoon reserved frosting into pastry bag fitted with star decorator tip.
- Pipe around top and bottom edges of cake.
- Spoon remaining cherry topping onto top of cake.